Saturday, January 1, 2011

Can a bank be egotistical, or is it just marketing?

I've just seen Michigan State get pulverized by Alabama in the Capital One Bowl. If this was a bowl game with a real bowl game name, like the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl, the loss might affect me more, but who cares about a game named after a bank?

It was originally the Tangerine Bowl. Then it became the Florida Citrus Bowl, and then the Capital One Florida Citrus Bowl. Apparently the bank decided that was too much of a mouthful and eliminated the fruit altogether.

I suppose if I was putting up a crapload of money to sponsor something, I'd want my name on it too, which is how we end up with the "Rose Bowl Presented by Vizio" and the "All State Sugar Bowl." At least the original names are still in there somewhere. But will these succumb to capitalistic greed and become the Vizio Bowl and the All State Bowl?

All I know about Capital One is what I see in their credit card commercials, so I think they would have been better off to call it the Capital One Viking and Goat Bowl instead. A loss in that one might really get me down.

Happy new year, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment