Thursday, January 6, 2011

Today's Blog

I have come across another one of those locutions that is unique to my family. It came to me while I ate my lunch today -- a Braunschweiger-on-rye sandwich.

When Mom made those, she didn't slice it, she just sort of gouged out pieces from the casing and applied them to the bread, using her knife to spread them around a little. Hence our name for it was "spread meat."

I think my brother was too embarrassed to call it spread meat. At least in polite company he called it liver sausage.

I must not fail to mention that today is Joan of Arc's birthday (1412), or at least the best guess as to her date of birth. She probably didn't even know. She's 599, which means next year we'll have to throw a big 600th birthday bash for her.

I'll make the spread-meat sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment