Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Happy Anniversary

Seven years ago today was the first day of the rest of my smoke-free life. I smoked my last cigarette the day before.

The previous fall I had chosen January 4, 2004, as my quit date. In anticipation thereof I had already started taking Wellbutrin, and I had put in a supply of nicotine patches. Michigan’s big cigarette tax increase, effective January 1 of that year, provided further motivation.

And, as if that were not enough, I caught a cold the week before that turned into pneumonia. I could barely breathe on January 4, 2004, much less smoke a cigarette.

All these factors, along with herculean willpower, combined to make my quitting a success. I now cheerfully refer to myself as a recovering nicotine addict.

The magic seven-year cycle of cell regeneration is now complete, and although pink is not my favorite color, I think it is the perfect shade for lungs.

I would be remiss if I failed to note that my beloved partner in life (with patches and determination, but not pneumonia) quit smoking that same day and has also remained smoke-free. That’s two more pink lungs for the record books.

Congratulations to us, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment