Saturday, January 29, 2011

Maybe I'm the flake

Every recipe for fish I've ever seen always wants me to cook it until the fish flakes easily.  I had always assumed that all fish flakes easily, because every fish I've ever eaten did.  Every fish I ever cooked certainly did.  At least until tonight.  I now know what a fish fillet looks and feels and tastes like when it isn't done enough to flake easily. 

These were thin-ish Tilapia fillets, baked in a bath of seasoned butter in the oven at 350° for 15 minutes, which is what the recipe called for.  But it was rubbery and couldn't be cut with a fork.  It didn't flake at all.  Three minutes in the nuker took care of that.  Then it flaked just fine.

And while I'm on the subject of food and flaking, I found a web site with recipes they claimed were from the early 1900's.  One woman bragged that her recipe for something called "Potato Puffs" was her great-grandmother's and was from 1910.  One of the ingredients was instant mashed potato flakes.  My research says potato flakes -- of the sort instant mash potatoes are made from -- were invented in 1962.

So is she stupid, or does she think I am? 

No comments:

Post a Comment