Thursday, January 20, 2011

Did I also mention "eclectic"?

Today is the birthday of Johann Herrmann Schein (1586-1630), an early Baroque composer.

A number of years ago I was in Barnes & Noble looking for a recording of Schein's most famous work, a series of dance suites collectively called Banchetto Musicale (Musical Banquet). They didn't have one. They did not, in fact, have anything by Schein. I broadened my search to other composers from other countries and other periods, but I was disappointed again.

I was probably muttering, because a clerk approached wanting to know if he could help me, so I took the opportunity to complain that they didn't have anything by Johann Herrmann Schein -- which I was careful to pronounce Yo-hon Hair-mon Shine. I also aired my views of the entire classical music section in general.

I am sure the young man was duly impressed with my high-class musical tastes, especially when he rang up the one CD I decided to buy: Ricky Nelson's Greatest Hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment