Monday, January 3, 2011

But who's counting?

Observant readers will have noticed a counter to the left called Total Pageviews. I added it a week or so ago to see if I could determine how many people might actually be reading my blog. It increments whenever somebody views this page, although there is no way to know if the viewer actually reads it.

I had my choice of counting hits for the last week, the last month, or forever. I chose the latter. Just now it reads 1013, but I think 950 of those hits are probably from me logging in. After I publish a new post, I always click on "View Blog" so I can see that it actually is out there. Kind of like when you put a letter through the slot of the street-corner mailbox. You always have to open the lid again to make sure it went down. And then I reread, and find typos, and edit and republish -- it's a vicious circle.

As far as I know, there are only about six people who have ever read my blog, and I estimate only 2-1/2 of them (on average) read it regularly.

But, perhaps a better indication of readership is the other new feature -- the Poll. I've chosen to leave it out there until next Sunday at noon EST. And then we'll see. Of course, if somebody votes more than once, that would skew the numbers too.

Oh, well. I'm going to vote now. (Sorry, Bears.)

No comments:

Post a Comment