Wednesday, January 12, 2011

And then there were ... fewer

So, it’s lunch time, and I’m surfing a little, and I decide to check the obituaries in my home town – no, I don’t do that often. But I did today.

There were 21 people in one list I was looking at. Three or four names were pretty WASP. There were a couple Polish names, and at least one each of Spanish, Italian, and German origin. I saw one Bohemian name, which pleased me, and a few I wouldn’t guess at.

But then I ran straight into Govostis, Grammatikakis, Kouchoukos, Manikis and Pappas. Holy cow -- 25% of the deceased were Greek.  I never knew there were that many Greeks in Chicago's northwest burbs.  And they're dropping like flies.

This sudden desire to read the obits must come with the Social Security. That’s the only thing I can think of that’s changed. I don't know if there will be other behavior alterations because of it.

But I can tell you that if you’re looking for me on the day the monthly checks arrive – try the bingo hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment