Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yes, I see.

I was thinking about the oddball things the Aussies say, which I’ve picked up from watching “McLeod’s Daughters.” Some of it is well-known Australian slang, but there are other locutions that make me wonder.

One is sort or sort out, as in “I’ll sort something out,” or “You’d better get that sorted.” The same way we would say figure out or straighten out. But -- is that typical Aussie-speak, or is it the person who wrote the script?

Writers do that. Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, etc.) uses “at this point” and “at some point” a lot.

If it was just her main character, you would credit her with giving Kinsey a distinct manner of speech, but when every character says it, then you know it’s Sue who uses that expression a lot.

On my all-time favorite TV show, “Upstairs Downstairs,” somebody is always saying, “Yes, I see.” It happens so often that one can only conclude that it is something the writer says all the time, or else the writer isn’t clever enough to come up with a different line. Maybe “Okay, I get it,” isn’t idiomatic British for 1910, but still, there must be some other way to say it.

Perhaps I’ll get this sorted at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment