Monday, January 10, 2011

A Name by Any Other Name

If this week's poll is lame, which I have freely admitted, how about last Thursday's blog title -- "Today's Blog."  That was clever.  I presume the topic just didn't lend itself.

Back in my days as an academic musician when I used to compose music, I had a real flair for naming the pieces I wrote.  For instance, I wrote a string quartet called String Quartet, and a set of five short pieces for piano is called Five Miniatures for Piano.  My real triumph in naming, though, was just a little something I wrote for solo xylophone called Something for Solo Xylophone

Probably I used up whatever creativity I had in composing the music and there was nothing left for the titles.

There was one piece for orchestra that I never finished.  I was going to call it Rug because all it did was lay there.  Maybe that's why I never finished it.

The title of yesterday's post -- "A Couple Thoughts" -- is accurate, if uninspiring.  Of course, when I do get whimsical, nobody gets it.  Like the one about homophones that I called "Homophone T. E."  If you read it more or less backwards, you almost get E.T. phone home (although actually it looks like I'd be telling him to call a gay person). 

I prefer to end a post with a punchline, but I can't today.  I'm depleted.

No comments:

Post a Comment