Sunday, January 9, 2011

A couple thoughts

There were seven (7) votes cast in last week's poll:  two yes, the Bears will go to the Super Bowl; two no, they won't, and three who cares?  Well, I care. I'd like the Bears to go to the Super Bowl. I'd like them to win this time, if they do get there. I'd like to win the lottery too.

The new poll is lame, I know, but I am not feeling particularly creative today.

Here's a better question. How hot does water have to be to kill germs? I've been wondering that for around 55 years now. I got to thinking about it again when I was washing the dishes yesterday. When I was a kid, I tried to get away with using cold water for the final rinse because the hot water out of the tap was very hot and hurt my delicate little hands. My mother told me that was completely wrong and categorically unacceptable. When I asked why, she said, "Because cold water doesn't kill germs."

An autoclave heats up to about 250°F. But if water boils at 212°, then 250° would be steam, and I would blister myself. Maybe it has to be as hot as the inside of a safe piece of chicken, which I think is 160°.

Well, more on that later. I'll have to go see how hot the water is that comes out of the tap.

I said in a previous post that I was going to come back to the subject of putting peanut butter and mustard on a hot dog, one of my favorite gastronomic delights.  If you've never tried it, you should -- peanut butter and mustard together makes a whole new taste – it doesn’t taste like either one, really. My only advice is this: don't put them both on the same side of the bun, especially if you're using chunky peanut butter.  It looks too much like what you might find in a diaper when a baby ...

Never mind. Just trust me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment