Friday, January 14, 2011

Now what?

A long time ago -- in fact, 1974 -- a friend suggested I keep a diary.  I had tried that when I was in high school when somebody gave me a diary for Christmas -- a smallish book of red pretend leather with a strap that fitted into a lock and the date printed on every page.  That didn't last the whole year.

My main objection was the notion of having to write in the diary every day.  My friend assured me that it was not necessary.  She said it was most useful for times when I wanted to vent.  So, I gave it a try, beginning with a 5 x 8" spiral notebook, a blue ball-point pen, and plenty to vent about.  I did not write every day -- there are gaps of days and weeks and even months.  But I filled eight such notebooks by 1998, at which time I started word processing my journal instead of writing it out by hand.  Now they are saved on CDs.

I still don't write in my journal every day, but I do manage to record the highlights of my life, and the lowlights, but since it's just for me it doesn't matter if there are gaps.

A blog, on the other hand -- well, do you see where this is going?  I am starting to feel the pressure of having to post something every day.   If I miss a day, I hear about it from some loyal reader or two.  I love having fans, and I really hate to disappoint anyone, but some days I have absolutely nothing to say.  Take today, for instance.

So, loyal readers, and casual ones too -- unless you want more tedious expostulations similar to the foregoing, please don't complain if I don't publish a new post every day.  It's hard on both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment