Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The gift that keeps on giving

Around Thanksgiving time I was asked to make a Christmas list. I resisted at first as I really don't need anything, and if I want something, I generally just go buy it.

But who am I to deprive my loved ones of the joy of giving? So I made a list of things it would be pleasant to have. It wasn't until last evening when I came across my list that I realized I got pretty much everything on it. I am delighted with and grateful for every gift I received, but guess which present I have gone absolutely bonkers over. Yes -- the one not on the list, the one, in fact, I would never have listed because I would never have known about it. And what is it that brings me such joy?

BuckyBalls.

That's what I said: BuckyBalls -- 216 small, round rare-earth magnets that you can string together, pull apart, form into shapes (hexagons a specialty), and just generally play with.

The magnet/toy/puzzle BuckyBalls are different from but based on the chemistry/physics/phi buckyballs which are named for Buckminster Fuller (of the ball-like geodesic dome) and which are all about Carbon 60 molecules, truncated icosahedrons and other scientific gibberish.

Science, schmience -- all I know is BuckyBalls are a gas, and I own my very own set now.

Another one of my favorite Christmas presents, the knife sharpener, works real well. That dull old knife I sharpened with it yesterday now slices fingers effortlessly. I'll be back playing with my BuckyBalls again just as soon as the Band-Aids come off.

No comments:

Post a Comment