Friday, December 3, 2010

How To Make A Stale Cookie

I began to believe that Lofthouse cookies could never go stale. I thought that each and every one of them would always impart its own delightfully soft, crumbly sweetness with each bite every time, all the time.

But the one I just ate, although permissible from a food-poisoning point of view, was actually...well, not quite fresh.

I put that particular cookie in my lunch box, safely sealed in a sandwich-size Ziploc baggie, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. For some reason I didn't eat it that day. I didn't eat anything out of my lunchbox until Monday of this week, at which time I discovered that my habits of consumption over the long holiday weekend had pushed the needle on the bathroom scale past acceptable limits.

I, therefore, embarked upon a sort of quick-fix pretend diet where I ate celery instead of chips with my sandwich and abstained from those things generally referred to as "treats" that I always have in my lunchbox, like little packages of cheesy crackers, Hostess cupcakes, and, yes, Lofthouse cookies, and tried to eat almost nothing after supper each evening.

Having found this morning that the bathroom scale was no longer overly burdened, but not wanting to undo what I had worked so hard all week to achieve, I still brought celery to provide the crunch with my lunch. I was still hungry, however, and I decided a sweet treat was allowable.

So I dug the Lofthouse cookie out of my lunch box and ate it. With the results already discussed.

I think I thought Lofthouse cookies never went stale because we never had them in the house longer than a couple days.

But as promised -- I believe I have provided adequate proof that you can make a Lofthouse cookie go stale.

No comments:

Post a Comment