Monday, June 13, 2011

Uncover, if you please

Saturday while lunching at Olga's, I observed a family of three enter the place -- dad, mom, and son about 13 years old.  As soon as he was inside, the young man removed his cap.  I haven't seen anything that polite in a long time, especially from one so young.

It annoys me exceedingly to see men wearing their hats or caps in indoor public places.  It is a symptom of the general incivility our society suffers from and so many of us complain of.  I believe it can be blamed on the trend toward more and more informality over the last several decades.  Formal courtesy, however superficial, at least requires one to notice and consider others.

Changing the subject now...

Last night on the Food Network a cook was beating about a dozen eggs in a large bowl, and Guy Fieri, watching him do it, referred to the eggs as "liquid chicken."  It kind of went past me at the time, but just now when I thought about it, I actually laughed out loud.  (I was going to say I cracked myself up, but the allusion to eggs forbade it.)

Well, a delayed laugh is a good laugh.  Old Chinese saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment