Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Solstice Solace

One time I was trying to cheer up a co-worker who seemed down by pointing out, "Tomorrow's Friday!"  She replied morosely, "That just makes it closer to Monday."  I remember thinking she needed some serious professional help.

However -- today is one of those days I hate to see come, and why?  Because the days will now be getting shorter.  Never mind that it's going to be summer, temperatures in general will be warmer, and there won't be any snow for several months.  The summer solstice to me means the long, slow slide to winter.  And winter depresses me.

So, I guess I'm just as nuts as that woman I thought was excessively pessimistic.

Speaking of which, I used to know somebody who insisted that there was no difference between an optimist and a pessimist because they were both being unrealistic.  Uh-huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment