Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Flag Day

One week shy of 10 years ago today, a sturdy 20-foot telescoping pole was installed in the middle of our front yard.  From that pole flies a 3-foot by 5-foot flag.  It is made of nylon and has sewn stripes and embroidered stars.  It is a relatively new flag, hoisted a month or so ago to replace the tattered one that had endured all our harsh winter.

Having a flag pole in front of my house from which to fly my country's flag was always one of my fondest wishes, and upon buying our current property, that wish came true. 

And yet there are some days, like today, when I wish it weren't there.  I would like to be able to mark holidays by making an overt gesture of displaying a flag, probably on a short pole jutting out from the front of the house.  A permanent flag on a pole robs me of that opportunity.

But, by writing about it, at least, I am marking this Flag Day, the anniversary of the date in 1777 on which the Continental Congress adopted the flag with the thirteen stripes and thirteen stars as our national emblem.  A good day to renew our pledge of allegiance to that flag and to the republic for which it stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment