Thursday, June 30, 2011

Oh, Ashley!

On this date 75 years ago, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind was published. 

It took me years of trying to read GWTW.  When I was in high school, at any given time at least two girls I knew would be reading it, and everyone said, "Oh, you can't put it down!"  Well, I didn't have any trouble putting it down. I started it several times, and it bored me senseless.

But then when I was 20 years old, I was bed-ridden for about a month.  I had read everything in the house, and the only thing left was that book.  So I slugged through it, and by the time I got to Chapter 7, I couldn't put it down.  I have probably read it 25 or 30 times since -- I used to read it every spring.

I think that if I knew Scarlett O'Hara personally, I would not like her at all.  We cheer for her because she is strong and brave and determined, but she really isn't very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment