Monday, June 20, 2011

Leaving a lasting impression

I was just reading an article on AARP's web site in which a woman claims that people who are old enough to join AARP are too old to use certain words any more.  "Panties" was one, and "cool," and "dude."  I really don't have anything to say about her notion, it was just that one of the words she thinks should be expunged from the senior adult's vocabulary was "tinkle."

And that reminded me of the time many long years ago that I babysat my brother's kids for a weekend.  My toddler niece was just about ready to graduate toilet training at the time, and while I had no trouble getting her on the toilet, I couldn't get her to do anything once there.  I finally got it working by challenging her ability to make "tinkle sounds," as in, "I'll bet you can't make tinkle sounds!"

Well, she could, and she did.  It sounds positively idiotic now, of course, but it was the best I could do, never having taken kiddie psych or anything.

But the real fun came the next weekend, when her parents were having a party.  Somebody went into the guest bathroom off the front hallway, toddler niece went to listen at the door, and -- yup, you guessed it -- followed the poor woman back into the living room and announced to everyone, "She made tinkle sounds!"

Glad I wasn't invited to that one.

1 comment: