Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Be there directly

We have to figure out a way to get people to stop saying they are "direct descendants" of somebody.  You either are descended from somebody or you're not.  There's no direct about it.  If you can figure out how to be an in-direct descendant, let me know.

I've been climbing the family tree again, as you can probably tell.  We already knew that Edward I and Eleanor of Castile are my 21st-great-grandparents, and also the 21st-great-grandparents of Her Majesty the Queen, making her my 22nd cousin.  BUT -- I have recently found new information indicating that I have a line that goes back to another ancestor of the Queen, namely John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster.  He is the great-great-grandson of Edward I, so that moves us up three generations, making QEII my 19th cousin.  How about that.

I always picture John of Gaunt as being really skinny. 

And I think Queen Anne must have been bow-legged -- I mean, just picture the legs on a Queen Anne table.  Holy cow.  Of course, I know what caused it.  She had at least 18 pregnancies, all but three of which ended in miscarriage or stillbirth.  That poor woman could not make a healthy baby.  The three who lived longer than a day all died before they were 18 months old. 

Maybe owning some Queen Anne furniture makes you her indirect descendant.

No comments:

Post a Comment