Monday, June 27, 2011

Oh Em Gee!

It was ten days ago that I had the butcher trim and truss a 2.45-lb. beef tenderloin for me.  I had intended it for last Saturday night's supper, but when the time came, I lost my nerve and stuck it in the freezer.  I had never made any kind of roast before, and I couldn't bear the thought of ruining a piece of meat that cost me $44.08. 

As usual, however, my loved one was able to put it in perspective for me by pointing out that $44 is just a few hands at the blackjack table.  So I built up my courage and determination all week, found instructions at foodnetwork.com, and on Friday I took it out of the freezer.  By yesterday it was thawed, and I was ready.

I seasoned it generously all over with Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, seared it on all sides in vegetable oil and butter in a medium-hot skillet, and finished it in a 400-degree oven.  When its insides reached 130 degrees, I took it out, tented it loosely with aluminum foil, and let it rest 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, I assembled the baked potatoes and green beans, and made a jus out of the yummy stuff on the bottom of the skillet.

Then I sliced the meat and served it, and we ate it.  It was perfectly medium-rare, tender, juicy, flavorful and completely beyond anything I can even think up words to say about it.  My partner, who loves meat more than life itself, claims it was the best beef she ever ate.  The fact that we frequently closed our eyes and moaned while chewing indicates the level of pleasure that chunk of beef provided.

Not only did I roast a beef tenderloin, I finally made good use of that $175 All-Clad skillet I couldn't live without and had never used for anything except Rice-A-Roni.  But all that's changed now.  I'm all grown up in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment