Thursday, June 16, 2011

In a Jiffy

Lately I've been wanting to make myself a little cake, the kind I have always made with Jiffy yellow cake mix and Jiffy chocolate frosting mix.  But Kroger didn't have either of those, and Meijer and WalMart had the cake mix but not the frosting.

I've also had another, unrelated culinary desire lurking in the back of my mind.  I want to try my hand at making a very fine beef roast, something I've never done.  I didn't see anything on the meat counters at those stores that appealed to me either.

So today I trekked on down to East Lansing to give Goodrich's a try.  It's just about the last independent, family-owned grocery store left around here, and when I lived near there and shopped there all the time, it seemed to me they always had everything.  And, sure enough, I found all the Jiffy mixes I could ever want, and I also had a talk with the butcher, who cut and trimmed up for me the roast of my dreams.

When I checked out, I chuckled when I saw the five items I was going to purchase moving down the conveyor toward the cashier:  four boxes of Jiffy mix at 79 cents each, and a 2-1/2 pound tenderloin that cost $44.08.

Would it have seemed less incongruous if I had splurged on cake mix by Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines?

No comments:

Post a Comment