Friday, June 17, 2011

It's toast

I love grilled cheese sandwiches.  That might actually be my very favorite thing to eat.  I like the classic American cheese on white bread very much, but I am also extremely fond of Cheddar on rye.

There are lots of ways to make grilled cheese sandwiches.  I make mine in a skillet, like most people do. My mother called her version "toasted cheese" because she put them under the broiler. I've known people to fry them in melted butter rather than butter the bread.  There is a movie in which Johnny Depp grills a cheese sandwich with an iron, and I saw something once about a guy who used a blow torch.

Somebody I used to know several decades ago told me that she made a toasted cheese sandwich with toast -- literally -- by pressing a slice of cheese between two pieces of toast right out of the toaster so that the hot bread melted the cheese. I must have looked skeptical, because I remember her asking me, "Haven't you ever done that?"

No.  At least, not until today.  And I will not be doing it again.

1 comment:

  1. Try the Frenchy... from Nebraska.

    Cheese Frenchies

    6 slices white bread
    6 slices American Cheese
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    3/4 cup flour
    1 tsp. salt
    Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs
    Mayonnaise
    Oil for deep fat frying

    Make 3 sandwiches, using 2 slices of
    American Cheese per sandwich. Spread
    mayonnaise on bread slices. Cut sandwiches
    into triangles. Combine egg, milk, flour and
    salt. Dip the triangle sandwiches into egg
    mixture, and coat with corn flake crumbs.
    Fry in deep fat at 375 degrees until golden.

    ReplyDelete