Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Say What?

I caught myself saying "Let us have lettuce" yesterday.  My mother used to say that.  I have no idea why.  I don't recall her ever saying it with regard to a meal or food of any sort.

Why she said it is not so perplexing a question as why I said it yesterday, out loud, when there was no one to hear me, except for my tiny dog who, I am sure, did not give a damn.

As I recall, I was on the verge of doing something that required going out into the garage, and I was saying to myself something like, "Let us go to the garage," but I changed my mind suddenly and decided to do something else first, and so I said instead, "Let us ... have lettuce."

The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that being a retired senior citizen on social security, I am home alone all day, unlike the days when I went to my place of employment which was peopled with co-workers with whom I could converse.  Now I have no one to talk to for hours on end, save my tiny dog, but, as already established, she doesn't give a damn.

So, I talk to myself.  And obviously I say really stupid things.

2 comments:

  1. My mom said it too, JanK. In fact....she took it a bit further in the vegetable family with this (say it out loud):

    Lettuce, turnip and pea

    I had to have it explained to me the first time. "Let us turn up and pee". Umm....okay??

    My mom left us with all kinds of goofy sayings that make me think of her when I hear them. Like today, reading your blog. Who woulda thunk it? ;-) Thanks, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll start using that, thanks Betty!

    Side note: I've always wanted to send someone into the grocery store to ask for "let-ooose."

    "pardon me, could you tell me where to find the letoose?"

    HA!

    ReplyDelete