Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Glory Breathe, It Exists Deceased

A category on "Jeopardy" one night last week was all about words that contain words that are synonyms. For example, the word dead can be found inside deceased (DecEAseD). Two others they had on the show were exists / is and male / masculine. I don't remember the other two, nor do I recall exactly what they called the category.

According to what I can find on the Internet, these are known as "kangaroo words," because, like the marsupial, they carry baby versions of themselves. (Isn't that sweet?) There are plenty of such words listed on various websites. Some of them are a stretch as regards their supposed synonymous-ness, as breathe and be, and some are just plain cheesy like artistry and art.

It took me three days, but I finally came up with one of my own -- rain can be found inside precipitation.

I'm so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment