Thursday, July 21, 2011

A heavy price to pay for the environment

Plastic grocery bags have myriad uses, and I have put them to several -- lining small trash cans, wrapping up food scraps, carrying things back and forth, and so on.  Our household always seemed to acquire more plastic grocery bags than we put to good use, however, and while I am not willing to say what I did with the excess, I will say now that I have finally begun to think that the least I can do is not collect so many.

I have, therefore, splurged 99 cents each to acquire the reusable totes sold in grocery stores.  I have about half a dozen now from Kroger, Meijer, Wal-Mart and even one from Trader Joe's, so as not to show favor to any particular store. 

So far, so good, but there are some significant disadvantages to the use of such bags.  In addition to the challenge of remembering to take the damn things into the store, when filled by eager baggers, the reusable bags can only be carried by Olympic-champion weight lifters.

I see more reusable bags and plaintive cries of "Please, not so full!" in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment