Thursday, July 7, 2011

I didn't like Ike either

I got an e-mail today from my Congressman.  Well, wait.  I got e-mail today from Mike Rogers.  He represents the 8th Congressional District of Michigan in the United States House of Representatives.  I live in the 8th Congressional District of Michigan.  Okay.  That clarifies our relationship.

Mike Rogers wants me to "like" him on Facebook.  Then I would see messages from him there, I guess.  Well, I will not like him on Facebook.  I will not like him anywhere.  I don't like him.  He's a Republican.

Out of curiosity I looked up a map of the Michigan 8th, and it appears to have suffered a slight bit of gerrymandering after the last census, a push eastward to include part of Oakland County.  The page I was looking at also listed all the representatives from this district, which was created in 1873, and I was reminded that Rogers' predecessor was Debbie Stabenow, who has represented me one way or another ever since I came to Michigan.

For fun I Googled Debbie Stabenow, and I learned that she started out as a social worker.  In 1975, while still in graduate school earning her MSW from Michigan State, she ran for and won a seat on the Ingham County Board of Commissioners, serving for three years. 

After that she just kept climbing up:  Michigan House of Representatives for 12 years, Michigan Senate for four, followed by two terms in the U. S. House, and now in her second term in the U. S. Senate.  It looks like the only thing left for her to do now is run for President. 

I'm gonna like Debbie on Facebook, and everywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment