Monday, July 4, 2011

It's my favorite holiday of the year

The Fourth of July is my favorite holiday for several reasons.  It is completely secular (unlike Christmas or even Thanksgiving, which has religious overtones), it is commemorative of an event (unlike, say, Labor Day), it is a joyous commemoration (unlike the more solemn Memorial Day on which we honor our war dead), and it occurs in the summer when the possibility of icy roads hampering travel is extremely remote and the chances of getting to eat hot dogs charred on the grill are extremely good.  Also, I love sparklers.

I was moved on July 4, 1979, to wax more or less poetic, and since I cannot render this for everyone in person, I will share it here, along with my best wishes for a happy holiday.


Cento for Independence Day

O beautiful for spacious skies,
My country, ‘tis of thee,
Columbia, gem of the ocean –
O say, can you see?

Yankee Doodle went to town,
Glory, glory hallelujah!
God bless America,
And happy birthday to ya!

© 1979 Jan Knez

No comments:

Post a Comment