Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Almost Symbiotic

I have had the most scathingly brilliant idea that turns two seemingly unrelated needs into a synergistic mutuality, or what you might call killing two birds with one stone.  First, I think it is about time some serious recognition is given to my favorite dog.  Second, there is a high school in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that needs a new mascot.  Voila!

I cannot even guess why Watersmeet, Michigan, is content to call itself the Home of the Nimrods.  Seriously?  No.  That has to go.  It's time for them to become the Watersmeet Chihuahuas.  What better mascot could a school ask for?  Although the smallest dog breed, Chihuahuas are smart, brave, loyal, lovable, and so damned cute.  At least my dog is all those things. 

Football players could take a lesson on being fierce from her.  You should see her taking on the dogs next door (through the fence, of course).  I admit she can be a little haughty -- generally after she tires of barking back at those yappy dogs next door, she just turns her back on them and takes a dump.  Message clear.

My dog also speaks.  Not having the same mechanisms as a human, she creates words by grunting, but you can always tell what she means.  Her most memorable utterance came one day when she wanted a sample of what was being prepared in the kitchen, and when she didn't get any, she said, "What the hell?"  She did -- my partner heard it too.

And did I say smart?  The other day I tossed her a treat that went under a chair.  She couldn't get her snout under it to get the treat, so she reached in with her paw and pulled it out to herself.  How brilliant is that?  She'll be devising tools next.

I'm going to draft a letter to the faculty and students of Watersmeet High School this morning.  If I enclose a photograph of my sweet Soji, I know they will be all for the change.  And as for my tiny dog, when I asked her if she'd like to be Watersmeet's new mascot, she just shrugged and said, "Why not?"

No comments:

Post a Comment