Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why bother when you can buy a bag?

Well, last Friday I got around to trying that recipe I mentioned that was in the New York Times, the one that required the cornmeal.  It was for home-made Fritos.  It was simple enough -- cornmeal and water, a little salt and a little oil, roll between two pieces of parchment, score, bake, break apart.

They were dreadful.

Some of it was my fault.  I had trouble getting the dough rolled to an even thickness.  The parts I got too thin burned, the parts I left too thick were gummy, and there really were no parts that were just right, I guess, because none of it got crispy enough to satisfy me.  They tasted all right, if you like the taste of cornmeal, water, salt, and oil.  They might have been improved by frying instead of baking, but I don't plan to try it again.

I am on the lookout for recipes that call for cornmeal, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment