Friday, March 16, 2012

This is sad

The other day our local NPR station was playing one of my all-time favorite Beethoven symphonies.  I was enjoying it tremendously, but I was having a senior moment and couldn't settle on the number of this symphony -- was it the second, or the fourth, or which?  I consulted the station's playlist on their website and discovered that it was the Symphony Number 5 by Franz Schubert. 

I was horrified.  How can somebody with a master's degree in music (and a dissertation shy of a Ph.D.) not know Schubert's Fifth when she hears it?  I know I have forgotten a lot about music -- more and more as time goes on -- since I gave up the study some 25 years ago, but I didn't think I'd lost it all.

I suppose I can find some solace in that I was confusing Schubert with Beethoven.  If the day comes when I can't distinguish between Bach and Mahler, I'll know it's all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment