Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Bohemian Folk Tale (my version, anyway)

Once upon a time there was a kingdom ruled by a very nasty, greedy, selfish king. He was hated by his subjects, but he kept them in such poverty by the taxes he levied and in such fear of his henchmen that they did not have the wherewithal to rise up against him. They were resigned to wait for the day when he would finally grow old and die. The people pinned their hopes on the king's only heir, his daughter, the Princess Otilia. She grew up to be a very beautiful young woman who was also intelligent and kind.

One day while out riding, the Princess fell from her horse and hurt her ankle. A shepherd tending his flock nearby witnessed the accident and ran to her aid. His name was Plavachek, and he was a very handsome young man, tall and slender, strong and brave, and kind. He lifted the princess back into the saddle and then gently led the horse safely back to the palace.

Princess Otilia was very impressed and invited the shepherd to return to the palace the next day to receive a reward for his kindness. He did come back the next day, but he refused a reward, which impressed the princess even more. He also came back the day after that, and the day after that, and soon young Plavachek was seen at the palace so often that the people expected an announcement any minute.

Indeed, before too long, the princess went to the king and said, "Father, I am going to marry Plavachek, the shepherd."

The king said, "No, I don't think so."

"But he is my one true love," she said, "and if you do not give us your blessing, we will run away together, and you will never see me again."

The king was not about to let his daughter marry a common shepherd, and he was sure he would be rid of the problem if he could be rid of Plavachek. He had the shepherd brought before him, and he said, "Young man, I understand you intend to marry my daughter. Before I can allow that, you must prove that you are worthy of her. I'm going to send you on a mission. You are to go to Grandfather Wisdom in the Golden City and return here with proof that you have seen him and that he approves of this marriage. Do you know how to get to the Golden City?"

"Yes, Sire," said the young shepherd. "It is a perilous journey. I would have to cross Bitter River, and then go over Glass Mountain, and then find my way through the Black Woods where the witches live."

"That's right," said the King. "If you accomplish this mission, you may have my daughter's hand. But if you fail, you might as well not bother to return."

Resolved to win the hand of his true love, Plavachek bid Princess Otilia a hasty farewell and departed upon his adventure.

Two days later, Plavachek was back. He went immediately to the king, who, when he saw him, shouted, "Young man, I told you not to return if you failed!"

"But I have not failed, Sire," said Plavachek. "Look!" And he drew from a velvet purse a gold medal bearing the inscription, "Grandfather Wisdom blesses the union of Otilia and Plavachek."

The king was completely flabbergasted. He knew the medal was genuine and that Plavachek had succeeded. "But how did you manage to do it?" the king asked.

"Well, Sire," Plavachek said, "I had a lot of help.

"When I approached Bitter River I met a man with a boat. He had been rowing that boat back and forth across the river for twenty years with no relief. He was so tired, his back was bent, and it looked like his legs would collapse under him. When I told him where I was trying to go, he said, 'If I help you, will you ask Grandfather Wisdom a question for me, and bring me his answer?' When I promised I would, he invited me into his boat and rowed me across the river.

"When I reached the foot of Glass Mountain, I stopped for water at a cottage in a clearing. A cobbler lived there with his family. His wife and all his children were very ill, and he was so worried and careworn that he could hardly hold up his head. When I told him where I was trying to go, he said, 'If I help you, will you ask Grandfather Wisdom a question for me, and bring me his answer?' When I promised I would, he gave a pair of special shoes he had made that allowed me to climb up and down Glass Mountain.

"Then I came to the edge of the Black Woods where the witches live. One of them was sitting at the edge of the woods, a wizened, withered old woman who was crying bitterly. 'Old grandmother,' I said, 'why do you weep so?' She told me that her sister witches were dying one by one and she was lonely and afraid. When I told her where I was trying to go, she said, 'If I help you, will you ask Grandfather Wisdom a question for me, and bring me his answer?' When I promised I would, she gave me a special light that helped me find my way through the Black Woods.

"On the other side was the Golden City. I was taken immediately to Grandfather Wisdom, who said, 'Come in, Plavachek. I've been expecting you. Oh, yes – don’t look so startled. I know who you are and where you come from and who sent you. I have already had this gold medal struck for you to give to your king. And I know that those who helped you along your treacherous journey have entrusted you with questions to ask of me. I have already prepared messages for you to give them.'

"That fulfilled my quest," Plavachek concluded, "so I thanked Grandfather Wisdom with all my heart and hurried back here as fast as I could."

"But what were these questions that the people wanted him to answer?" the king asked.

"Well, the man with the boat wanted to know if it was true that he would finally be relieved of his duties. Grandfather Wisdom told him it would be easy. The next time a person came wanting a ride across the river, the boatman was to thrust the oar into that person's hand and go ashore. Then that person would become the new oarsman.

"The cobbler wanted to know if it was true that there was a magic apple tree near Glass Mountain. He had heard that eating the apples of this magic tree would cure any disease, and he wanted it for his family. Grandfather Wisdom told him where to find it.

"And the old witch wanted to know if it was true that there was a magic spring with waters so healing that it could revive the dead. Grandfather Wisdom told her where to find this spring."

"What!" cried the king, jumping to his feet. "Do you mean to say that you could have returned with magic apples that would cure any disease and magic water that could bring the dead back to life, and instead you come back here with this stupid gold medal?"

"My first responsibility was to my beloved Princess Otilia," Plavachek said, "so that we can be wed.”

"I'll tell you what," shouted the king. "You go ahead and do that little thing – you marry my daughter. I really don't care what you do.

"What I am going to do is retrace your steps. I am going to find that cobbler and make him show me where the magic apple tree is, and then I'm going to find that old witch and make her show me where that magic spring is. When I have done that, I will be immortal! As long as I have those apples, no disease can take me! I can conquer all other kingdoms, for even if killed in battle, the magic water will revive me! I will be the richest, most powerful man in the world, and I will rule the world forever!"

And with that, the king leapt up upon his fastest horse and rode away.

Plavachek and Princess Otilia were married. In the absence of the king, they ruled the kingdom jointly. They ruled it wisely and well, and kindly. The people of the kingdom rejoiced, and they all lived happily ever after.

And as far as anybody knows, to this day the nasty, selfish king is still rowing that boat back and forth across Bitter River.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment