Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vernal, Vern

In northern climates like the one I've always lived in, it sometimes snows on the first day of spring.  The first time I witnessed such an event I was about eight years old.  My mother called to me to come look outside and see that it was snowing, even though it was officially spring.  I got it.  Even at that tender age, I apparently had an adequate sense of irony.

Now I am forced to do a complete about-face and deal with it being 85 degrees on the first day of spring, and not an isolated occurrence, either.  It was 85 yesterday and will be again tomorrow too.  The windows are open and the ceiling fans are twirling.  After checking the forecast for the immediate future, I have decided it is not worth engaging the air conditioning, since temperatures will be back down in the 50s and 60s by Thursday.

I can ride it out.  I'm thinking a tall, cold drink of something special will help.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment