Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Isn't this just fine...

There is a recipe in the New York Times today that I'd like to try which calls for "stone-ground or other fine cornmeal (do not use whole grain)." 

Plain cornmeal is foreign to me.  The closest I've ever come is cornmuffin mix, so in order to have a better idea of what to look for when I get to the store, I did some Googling.  As far as I can tell, if it doesn't say "whole grain" on the label, it will be the degerminated kind, which is what I am to use.

But then I learned that cornmeal comes in fine, medium and coarse grinds.  So what does the "fine" mean in "other fine cornmeal"?  Do they mean other finely-ground cornmeal, or do they mean other excellent cornmeal?  This ambiguity arises because (a) stone-ground cornmeal is said to be coarser than steel-ground and (b) the New York Times always calls for quality ingredients.

I'm going to depend on my expectations for the finished product and go with a fine grind.  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment