Friday, October 21, 2011

Where's the Colgate Invisible Gardol Shield when you need it?

There's a TV commercial that talks about doggie dentures, and it's too bad it's a joke, because my tiny dog, now 10 (or 70 in human years) is having trouble with her tiny teeth.  She has trouble chewing the dry kibble, and for the last couple weeks she has been eating only once every 36 hours.  I haven't switched to wet dog food because it always gives her the runs.  Her system might adapt after a while, but I'm not up to a week or two of doggie diarrhea until it does.

The solution, then, was to soften her food by adding something, but what?  Water?  Boring.  Canned dog food?  Maybe, but I don't happen to have any just now, and my dog is not eating.  So -- I went with something I do have on hand and that I know she loves:  potted meat.

Just a teaspoon of it, mixed with her 1/4 cup of kibble, and she ate it up.  But after about three days of that I got to worrying about the fat content of the potted meat -- might be too much for every meal.  So I yesterday I moistened her dry food with diluted peanut butter.  Also worked like a charm.  This morning I was wondering what else I could try when I opened the pantry door and saw a jar of Heinz beef gravy.  I've just fixed up her dish of kibble in gravy, and my tiny dog is chowing it down so fast and with such enthusiasm that she is snorting like a pig.

We are going to have to work on her table -- uh, floor manners.

No comments:

Post a Comment