Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Another date in history

Today's date rang a faint bell with me, and I looked it up.  It is a date from my family tree, the birthday of my maternal grandmother, Blanche Alberta Hefley, born in 1899 in Hillsboro, Illinois.  She married Ralph Bayless Weatherford -- ran off and eloped with him, as a matter of fact -- on November 1, 1920.  She died on November 6, 1985.

I never liked the old lady myself.  I've been trying to think of one fun incident, one nice memory, one endearing thing she might have done or said that I could relate about her, and I can't.  She was selfish and greedy and bossy and treated my mother badly.  She was so avaricious that she verged on being a hoarder, saving anything she might get more use from.  That extended to her kitchen also.  We called her refrigerator The Ptomaine Box.

It is revealing that my mild-mannered father -- who never called people names, thought it was boorish to say bad things about anybody, and considered it especially unchivalrous to malign a woman -- referred to her as "that old battle axe."

I'd say there is no point celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment