Thursday, October 27, 2011

Things that go yuck in the night

I was baking this afternoon, having a hell of a time with a recipe that was supposed to make cake batter and made wallpaper paste instead.  I got it going eventually, and while batches of mini cupcakes were baking a dozen at a time, I busied myself cleaning up as I went.  The whole exercise was so laborious that with only half the batter used, I simply up and quit, throwing the rest out.  Then I sat down to rest for 90 minutes.

Just now I went back to the kitchen to continue cleaning up, and I was faced with a sinkful of dirty pans and utensils idling in cold dishwater.  God, there is nothing I hate more than putting my hands into cold, greasy dishwater.  Yuck.

Something I have long known about myself is that I can deal with just about any icky thing as long as I don't have to touch it with my bare hands.  I can handle animal by-products, science experiments found in the back of the refrigerator -- in short, any of the gloppy messy stuff that one comes across in the ordinary course of one's existence.

My partner keeps a pair of Playtex dishwashing-type gloves in the under-sink cabinet.  So why didn't I just put them on?

No comments:

Post a Comment