Sunday, October 2, 2011

We are nothing to fear but itself

Facebook had this thing once where you could make up a quiz about yourself for your friends to take, to see how well they know you.  I did one, and most people did pretty well.  Almost everybody, however, got one question wrong, which went something like this:

Jan is pathologically afraid of all these things except:

1.  Spiders
2.  Heights
3.  Eating aluminum foil
4.  Slipping in the bathtub/shower

Except for my beloved partner, everybody chose No. 3, probably because it sounds so absurd.  But really, it's true.  I am deathly afraid of ingesting aluminum foil. 

When they bring me a baked (or, really, steamed) potato wrapped in foil in a restaurant, I am diligent in removing every trace of the aluminum and making sure there is none anywhere on, in or near my plate.  If they have cut the potato down the middle with the foil still on it, I must then also perform a microscopic inspection to be certain there are no metallic particles embedded in the potato pulp before I will venture to eat any of it.

When I was a kid, you see, my uncle's sister-in-law swallowed a little piece of aluminum foil.  It tore up her insides and resulted in septicemia that about killed her.  And I have been scared spitless of having it happen to me ever since.

As to my other fears, I think I will leave that for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment