Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Where are they now?

In an upstairs bedroom at my maternal grandparents' house, there hung on one wall photographs of my grandmother's parents, Turner Hefley and Anna Conley.  They were large portraits in gilt oval frames with curved glass.  As they appeared to be in their twenties -- and judging by his handle-bar mustache and her high collar -- I would say they were taken in the 1890's.

They both wore sober expressions, but a sort of benignity came through, and I always thought that Anna, in particular, looked like she would have been a very kind person.

I loved to sit and study those photographs of my great-grandparents.  More than once when I was young I let it be known how much I would like to have them some day.  My grandmother's house and its contents were disposed of by other relatives when the time came, so I never got the chance to try to obtain them.

Although I have no idea what became of those photographs, I have the awfullest feeling that they are now hanging in a Cracker Barrel restaurant somewhere in Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment