Saturday, July 13, 2013

New Royal Due Soon

When Buckingham Palace announced that William and Kate were expecting, all they said about the due date was "in July."  Well, it's July, and anticipation in Britain is reaching fever pitch.

British bookmakers, as usual, are taking bets on anything related to it, from mundane things like sex, weight, and time of birth to whether it will be William or Kate who is holding the baby when they leave the hospital.

As to the child's name, James and Victoria are the most popular choices.  If it's a boy, I'd like them to call him Arthur.  It's about time England had a real King Arthur.  They almost did in the 16th Century, but Prince Arthur, eldest son of Henry VII, died before his father, so the next son succeeded him, as Henry VIII.  I like Arthur William Henry Albert George myself.

The law of succession was changed in 2011 to allow the first-born child to be heir to the throne regardless of gender, so I hope it is a girl to take advantage of it.  And I hope they name her Elizabeth Victoria Catherine Alexandra Mary, but I have a sneaky suspicion they're going to work Diana in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment