Monday, July 15, 2013

What to my wondering eyes should appear ...

Saturday we took a little drive and ended up in a small town less than an hour away.  As we came into town, a man and woman came clopping toward us in a horse-drawn wagon.  We recalled there were Amish in the area, and these people looked so typical in their plain clothes, she in white head covering, he with beard and straw hat.

We pulled into a gas station to fill up, and when I got out of the car, I noticed the Amish couple had pulled in as well.  It was an odd juxtaposition, their rig parked off to one side at a gas station.  I thought they had probably come there to buy something in the associated convenience store.

While I filled the tank, I became aware of activity on the other side of the pump I was using,  but there was no car there.  Curious, I took a few steps so I could peer around the pump and see what was happening, and there was the Amish man filling two large gasoline cans.  When he finished, he carried them to his wagon, then went inside to pay.

I can only assume their community allows the use of some sort of equipment that runs on gasoline, because if it was for his Harley, he would have ridden his Hog into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment