Thursday, July 11, 2013

News for today

My postings in this here blog thing are sometimes inspired by something I hear on the radio or see in the paper, and since I couldn't think of anything to write about today, I thought I'd hunt around at Google News.  Nothing.

So I checked today's birthdays and came up with Robert the Bruce (King of Scotland), John Quincy Adams (President), Yul Brynner (bald guy), and Tab Hunter, who is now 92.   Nothing inspiring there. 

There are also a bunch of people, living and dead, born on this date of whom I have never heard. It's a shame too, because I really think somebody ought to be celebrating the 187th anniversary of the birth of the English dude who invented the steam-hauled plow (John Fowler, 1826-1864).

Historical events of July 11 didn't help either.  Henry VIII was excommunicated on this date in 1533, the U.S. Marine Corps was created in 1798, Babe Ruth made his major league debut in 1914 (as a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox).  Yawn.

However, that does remind me that last week a headline in the New York Times' sports section was, "Red Sox are a Monster."  I've been working on that.  Red Sox is a Monster?  Red Sox are Monsters?  I can't make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment