Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Royal Watch

I admit to being a Royal Watcher.  Maybe being related to the Queen has something to do with it.  Right now I am anxiously awaiting the birth of my 22nd cousin removed three times.  Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, predicts it will be this week.  Nobody knows if she really knows something or is just guessing.

Coincidentally, today is Camilla's birthday.  She's 66.  I like Camilla, always have.  I think she has handled her elevation to consort of the future King of England with dignity and grace.  I know a lot of people don't like her, having cast her as the other woman in the Charles-Diana breakup.  I blame Diana, myself.  That loveless marriage was bound to be unhappy for both of them, but like many royal marriages over the centuries, it could have survived if Diana had held her end up.  Charles was not the first prince with a mistress, but Diana was the first princess to make a public stink about it.  She knew going into it what was expected of her -- produce an heir and maintain the pretense -- and she only managed half of it.

Perhaps Camilla's prediction about the baby was prompted by a hope that the child would be born on her birthday.  Well, let's see, it's just after 3:00 in the afternoon over there right now, so there's still time.

Come on, Kate.  Get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment