Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Le Petite Prince

It's a boy!  Darn it.

I wish Kate and Will and the little prince all the best, of course, but I really was hoping my new 22nd cousin (thrice removed) would be a girl.  Now, barring untimely deaths or abdications, it will probably be 100 years before England has another queen regnant. 

There was a rumor that his great-grandma would "retire" (as Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and King Albert of Belgium have recently done) once the new heir was born, but I think that's extremely unlikely.  A monarch who takes the job as seriously as Queen Elizabeth II is going to see it as a duty to remain on the throne until she dies.  And if she takes after her mother, she's got at least 14 years to go.

Now we wait to hear what they'll name His Royal Totness.  I'm for Arthur, as I said previously, but I would not be surprised if we are going to have a future King George VII instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment