Sunday, March 27, 2011

Speak Now or Forever Hold It

I just went to Google and clicked on NEWS. The fourth story down, right between “NATO approves expanded role in Libya” and “Syrian army cracks down on protesters as government delays concessions” was this:


 
Notice the 2,546 other news articles available about the young couple. I presume they’re not all about the cake.

I’m not saying I’m above taking an interest in royal doings.  I’ll be watching the wedding, naturally. I wouldn’t miss the nuptials of my twenty-second cousin twice removed, would I? Besides I like spectacles and pomp – as long as I’m not the one who has to show up in ancient taffeta and lace in high-heeled shoes with a tiara on my head.

I remember Chuck and Di’s wedding, of course, and Princess Anne marrying Capt. Phillips, but my first and favorite royal wedding was that of Princess Margaret and Anthony Armstrong-Jones in 1960. I have never forgotten the Archbishop of Canterbury asking the groom to repeat after him, “I, Anthony Charles Robert, take thee, Margaret Rose …”

I guess if you have two last names you need at least three first names to go with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment