Saturday, March 12, 2011

The future will be coming

If I can sort out supposably I can take on forthcoming.  And somebody needs to -- too many people do not use the word correctly.

If something is forthcoming, it will happen in the future.  We look forward to our forthcoming anniversary.  He will speak of his forthcoming novel.  Payment is forthcoming.

I frequently hear people say (and did twice this week) something like, "More information will be forthcoming."  Wrong.

If something is forthcoming, it will happen in the future.  To say it will be puts it in the future too.  So if you say, "It will be forthcoming," you're really saying that sometime in the future it will be happening in the future, but not yet.

These things make my head hurt.

Of course, forthcoming can also mean friendly and outgoing, or open and candid.

I hope to be all of these things.  Presently.

No comments:

Post a Comment