Sunday, February 13, 2011

It all comes back eventually

Through the miracle of Facebook, I got in touch this weekend with somebody I went to college with 45 years ago and haven't seen or talked to in 43 years.

Seemingly unrelated to that:  for a very, very long time I have been trying to remember what they called those heavy wool jackets that were cut like flannel shirts complete with breast pockets with flaps.  Very popular in the mid-1960's, they were.  It was three initials, but I couldn't remember which three, and it would drive me nuts every now and then trying to remember.

Just moments ago while I was reading an email message from this old friend, it came to me:  they were called CPO Jackets.  I had a brown one.  Probably it was the only piece of brown clothing I've ever owned.  I would have preferred a plaid one, because I generally don't do brown, and plaid is one of my favorite colors.  The brown one probably was on sale.  I was a poor college student then.

Now, the really amazing part is the connection -- and there has to be one -- between hearing from somebody after 40+ years and suddenly remembering what those jackets were called.  She was from the same time in my life as that jacket.

Ain't it simply astounding the way the mind works?

According to what I see on the Internet, CPO Jackets are now considered "vintage."  Yeah, well, so am I, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment