Friday, February 18, 2011

If winter comes ... and goes

I start dreading winter the day after the summer solstice, because I know the days are going to grow shorter and the temperatures will eventually get colder and the precipitation will come in the form of snow.  In Bleak December I perk up a little bit on the 22nd (or thereabouts) when the trend reverses itself in minute increments.

We missed the January thaw this year, so we're having it now in late February.  I refuse to get my hopes up that it's over.  Some of the most annoying snow storms I've experienced were in April.  So there is going to be more winter weather, more cold temperatures, more snow, and lingering seasonal depression on my part for a while at least. 

But hope springs eternal.  Right now all the snow that wasn't piled in 10-foot mounds has melted.  And that has yielded this harbinger of things to come:  my tiny dog went out on the deck, down the stairs, and onto the grass to do her thing this morning.

If your dog pees on the grass, can spring be far behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment