Monday, February 21, 2011

Go Green, Go White (and I don't mean snow)

See? I said I wasn’t getting my hopes up. We had another 10 inches of snow again by this morning.

I feel like I spent most of the weekend watching basketball games. Both Michigan State’s teams won. Life is sweet. The women’s team is on top of the Big Ten (which has 11 and will soon have 12 teams in it). That program has done very well of late, and people are appreciating what the players and Suzy Merchant have done. They sold out the Breslin center for their most recent home game.

Haven't been to a game in a long time.  I'd hate to start now -- I'd look like a fair-weather friend.  The women used to play in the women’s IM building, a cozy little gym, but even then it was empty. I was astounded when they moved them to the Bres – capacity of about 14,000. There would be 300 people there. You could hear the players talking to each other on the court, and the loudest noise was sneaker squeaks. The biggest crowd for a women’s basketball game at the Bres was always when Ohio State came to town. Their fans outnumbered us.

But I'm very glad to see this trend. Maybe it just took Title IX a while to get to East Lansing.

No comments:

Post a Comment