Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Why wait, indeed?

I heard on the radio yesterday that new legislation signed into law by Michigan Governor What'is'name will allow veterans to obtain fishing and hunting licenses for free.  It's not a monumental thing, but still, it's a nice gesture that pleased me.

Preparatory to writing about it here, I looked for information online to be sure I had my facts straight, and I didn't.  It's only for disabled veterans, only residents of Michigan, and only those who are "100% disabled," meaning veterans who have been "determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to be permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service."

If you recover from your wounds, you have to cough up the price of the license, I guess, which, as far as I can determine, would be somewhere between $15 and $30 to hunt and around $8 to fish.

I found that 3,000 disabled veterans applied for such licenses in 2010, so there will be some folks saving some money, but not extending it to any veteran anywhere makes it not quite so bright a moment as I thought, but we're grateful nevertheless.

As a semi-amusing side note, I Googled "cost of Michigan hunting and fishing licenses," and the very first site returned was this:

Why Wait? Buy Your 2011 Michigan Hunting and Fishing Licenses Now
www.michigan.gov/.../0,4570,7-153-10371_10402-254467--,00.ht...Cached


No comments:

Post a Comment