Friday, August 3, 2012

Yu Ess Ay !

According to the founder of the modern Olympic Games, Pierre de Coubertin, the important thing is not winning but taking part.  In that spirit, therefore, I am pleased to point out that the United States of America has now taken part in the medal presentations more than any other country, finally overtaking China in the total medal count (37-34), although both countries have the same number of gold medals (18).  I love it when the home-town team gives me plenty to cheer about.

I have watched a few minutes of some water polo matches, and even a few minutes was enough to convince me it is an extremely silly game.  I also think somebody needs to invent a strap of some sort for securing the headgear.  It already looks like a baby bonnet, and the bow under the chin does nothing to dispel that.



There were myriad emotional reactions to losing (brooding, pouting, weeping) and winning (screaming, thrusting the arms over the head, jumping up and down) on display yesterday, but the really big one was perpetrated by the notoriously undemonstrative Rebecca Soni of the United States after winning the 200-meter breaststroke in world record time.  She actually pumped her fist -- twice.  Her coach said, "I'm probably more excited about that than the time."

For those of us who might actually be getting a little tired of swimming, competition begins today in track and field, or what the Brits call athletics.  I especially like the field events -- jumping and throwing.

Day 6 Quote of the Day (Colombian weight lifter Jackelina Heredia Cuesta on why she grins when she lifts the weight over her head):  "I can't cry, so I smile."

A good choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment